Wednesday, October 7, 2009

In Memorium


While the rest of the world is obsessing over Julia Child and Julie Powell (the inspiration for the film "Julie and Julia"), I have stood somewhat aloof from this craze.  One reason being Drew and I are not much for most things French.  I know, food snobs in my readership, I will never be a true foodie - oh well.  Another reason must be because I have other heroes in my cooking world.  My heroes have spent lifetimes in their kitchens lovingly preparing food for their families.  They have made recipes not found in cookbooks.  These women in my life have taught me that food is love.  They have shown me the way to prepare food with the eaters in mind - thoughfully and prayerfully.   And they made a kitchen table the place to make the best memories, the place where good food and good conversation led to connections that last a lifetime. 
My world lost one of those remarkable ladies this week.  My Granny, Nellie Grace Dees, passed away on Sunday.  She was a special lady who had a knack for baking that has influenced generations.  I have so many memories from her kitchen in Mississippi.  I will always remember the way her house smelled and the flavors of the food she served.  My favorite recipes of hers are the family favorites I serve Drew now (every now and then): mac and cheese, cheese enchiladas, cherry pie (I ate an entire pie when I was 8 or 9), banana nut bread, just to name a few.  I am so thankful that I got to spend summers at her house when I was young - what a blessing she was to me! 
While thinking about her this week, I have been desiring to make her banana nut bread.  A little comfort food to comfort the weary.

No comments: