Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Simple Summer Dinner

One of the things we found when we opened this week's box from the CSA was fennel.  I have to be honest, I haven't used fennel that much because the flavor can be a little much for me (and Drew).  It was most recently featured prominently in a Christmas dinner a few years back via inspiration from Mario Batali - great Italian Stuffed Pork Loin.  So, I guess you could say it's been a while.

I recently came across a recipe for fennel salad that sounded interesting, but the ingredients were less than desirable for our family.  So starting from there, I went online and looked for fennel salad recipes.  Most I came across included citrus.  This was a no go for us as well, so I settled on the most simple one I could find.  This was proof that simple ingredients (if fresh), prepared simply are the best.  Here is the recipe.  I was also able to use one of the red onions from the CSA.

So once I got the salad, I decided to do simple sandwiches to go with them.  It is insanely hot and humid here this week (not normal for the desert of So. Cal.), so I didn't want to turn on the oven.  This turned out to be a simple summer dinner.  Drew especially liked the salad dressing (I used a good amount of pepper).

Are you interested in fennel?  Do you have a favorite recipe that utilizes this crazy vegetable?  Please let me know, I am going to need to some if we get any more fennel.

2 comments:

MISSY said...

LOUISIANA SQUASH

6 yellow summer squash
4 chopped green onions
1/4 c. butter
1 lb. cleaned shrimp
Salt and pepper to taste

Scrub squash and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices. Cook with onions in 3 tablespoons water in saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon butter. Cook covered, until squash is just tender. Place shrimp in remaining hot butter in skillet and saute quickly until pink. Add shrimp and drippings to squash. Cook until all liquid is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over hot rice, if desired.

Leah said...

Missy - Thanks for this recipe. I will be making it very soon. I was going to make it this past week, but Drew suddenly said he was tired of shrimp (I think we had it 2 times last month...I have created a monster!).

Your recipe looks great!