Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Young Favorite Returns

Today was a Thursday with Morgan day!  I love when Morgan comes over...great conversation and great food are always in order. 

Tonight we had an old fashioned recipe made somewhat different by one modification.  I got the recipe for Meatball Stroganoff out of a Cuisine at Home recent issue.  Yes, it is what you are thinking: beef stroganoff with meatballs instead of chunks of meat, pretty clever.  I actually began making this dinner a couple weeks ago when I made the meatballs for this an tomorrow night's recipe and flash froze them.  They had a great deal on ground sirloin, so I jumped on it and made enough meatballs for two completely different recipes.  I have to say these meatballs are stand-alone good.  I highly recommend the recipe from this mag for meatballs.
The dinner is very easy to prepare once you have the meatballs thawed out.  It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.  I was hoping the sauce would be a little spicy because of the addition of paprika and cayenne, but was surprised to find all heat missing.  If I were to do it again, I would double the ammount of cayenne to give it a little kick. 

I paired dinner with some asparagus.  We found great thin asparagus at Henry's Farmers Market yesterday and I was pleased with the result.  Don't you just love when you find a great, fresh ingredient at a great price?



After washing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen a little bit, and an episode of the Golden Girls (yes, I introduced Morgan to Rose Nyland), we got started on the dessert.  This one was interesting.  Morgan and I made a Chex cereal based recipe a while back.  When she got in the car today, she told me she was craving it again.  So, I set about creating the recipe as I remembered it.  Well, I got the recipe completely wrong, but we ended up with a nice after dinner treat.  She will also be taking some of it in her lunch tomorrow because we don't need the temptation around here for very long. The recipe is Snickerdoole Chex Mix and can be found here.  We will have to try the one she was craving next time.

No comments: